Tuesday, February 21, 2017

Mirror mirror on the wall

Mirror, mirror on the wall,

Who am I? Im standing in a church where bullet holes have pierced the wall. I take photos as i listen in on the korero from Matua Dudley about historic events that took place way before i was born. Ancestors lie peacefully, no word, no sound, just the repeating sound of tree branches that accompany my tipuna.

Mirror, mirror on the wall. Who am I?
Hone Heke was the first chief to Sign the 'Tiriti O Waitangi;. He meant well and had good intentions. He chose to chop down the flag several times to prove his point whilst knowing that there would be consequences for his actions. He stood firm and realised what had taken place. It is he who took action and within reason.

Mirror, mirror on the wall. Who am I?
I am me, I am Qayd from Ngapuhi and Tainui. I am proud of who I am. I am happy to know my roots, somewhere I can call home, to identify with. As long as history is a moment in the past, its stories will continue to live in the future.

Mirror, mirror on the wall. Who am I?
My answer, I AM MAORI!

Qayd Marsh.

Kotuku

4 comments:

  1. Kia ora, Qayd - what an outstanding piece of writing!

    I think you will be a strong contender for the Sheck Award for Writing Excellence at the end of the year, if you continue to produce quality pieces of work like this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Matua Des when are we publishing our work on the blog

    ReplyDelete
  4. Qayd, a lot of things I like about this writing . What stands out for me is this sentence 'Ancestors lie peacefully, no word, no sound, just the repeating sound of tree branches that accompany my tipuna'. I felt a sense of emotion :) .

    ReplyDelete