Tuesday, February 21, 2017

Waitangi Haerenga

Hi my name is Dallas and this is my writing piece form our trip up North.

I am anxious, I am deprived of sleep yet I can't sleep in case i fall in to deep sleep. My ears pinned up like the hair on the back of my neck, my thoughts wonder in this brain of mine contemplating what i might see.

Mauta Des gives clear instructions about behaviour, representing the school. Firm but fair. The new bus glistens with a bright glaze of gold almost like brown roast potatoes which reminds me I haven't had breakfast. Nonetheless, Its ROAD TRIP time.

After a gruesome bus ride we arrive to the receptive company of our hosts. Matua Tangaroa makes us feel at home, at ease, call it what you will, for me its simply 'manaakitanga, whakawhanungatanga, kotahitanga'.

I learn about the history of the area and the demise of our people either through fighting for our land, protests, wars with our allies or with our own. The place where Mr Busby settled and had great influence on my people through the signing of 'Te Tiriti O Waitangi'.

I am an awe of the events that took place in history but not disillusioned by how history somewhat dictates our present. For what it's worth, i have more to learn about the treaty and its finer details that encompass this document, but if i had my way I would have thought twice.

Dallas Katipa

1 comment:

  1. Dallas 'wow' , I can see that you have been listening to the lessons you have been having in class. I am not sure about the 'gruesome bus ride', I though my driving was 'pretty' good :) .

    ReplyDelete